UNATTENDED CHILDREN POLICY
In order to make the Derry Public Library a memorable, enjoyable and safe place for children, the Board of trustees has adopted the following policy:
- The library staff does not assume responsibility for unsupervised children.
- Children under the age of 8 must be accompanied by a parent or responsible caregiver 12 years of age or older while in the library.
- Children 8 years or older are responsible for their own behavior in the library and must follow library rules and regulations. Any child 8 or older who is left unattended must have a contact number for reaching a parent or responsible caregiver.
- If a child’s behavior is deemed inappropriate or unduly disruptive, the parent or responsible caregiver will be requested to remove the child from the library.
- If the parent or caregiver cannot be reached, the Library staff will contact the Derry Police Department.
- If a minor has not been picked up at closing, the Library staff will use their discretion as to whether the police should be called to ensure the child’s safety.
THANK YOU for helping us keep your children safe while they enjoy their library visits.