PATRON CODE OF CONDUCT
The Derry Public Library is committed to providing and protecting all library users’ right of access to library facilities and to information. The library’s Patron Code of Conduct therefore has a threefold purpose: to protect the rights and safety of library patrons, to protect the rights and safety of staff members, and to preserve and protect the library’s materials, facilities, and property. Persons who violate these rules may be removed from the premises and denied library privileges. This policy has been developed within the framework of the American Library Association Code of Professional Ethics, the Library Bill of Rights, and the law, including constitutional standards under the First and Fourteenth Amendments.
To keep our library a welcoming place for everyone, we abide by the following guidelines:
- Parents are responsible for their children.
- Patrons of any age who are disturbing others will be asked to modify their behavior or to leave.
- Patrons must refrain from displaying obscene or objectionable material.
- Behavior that violates town, state or federal law may result in the police being called.
- Children and teens have priority in seating and computer usage in designated areas of the building.
- The children’s room is intended for children ages birth through age 11 and their families/caregivers.
- The teen area is intended for teens age 12 through 18
- In to-go cups must be consumed in the café area.
- Are welcome in other parts of the building if they are in a travel-style container with a secure top.
- May only be consumed in the café area.
- Is only allowed in other parts of the building as part of approved library programs.
All patrons must abide by all library policies in order to ensure equal access to the Derry Public Library’s facilities and information. The Library Director reserves the right to ban any patron from the library who chooses not to comply with the library’s policies. Patrons have the right to appeal this ban by addressing the matter with the Derry Public Library Board of Trustees.
Approved by Board of Trustees 9/21/15