Derry Public Library
Wireless Internet Policy
Revised May 31, 2012 Approved-June 18, 2012
The Derry Public Library provides wireless Internet access via an open, unsecured wireless network to anyone who has the necessary devices and software. Since the Library cannot guarantee a secure connection to the Internet in a wireless environment, patrons are advised to use the latest anti-virus, spyware, and other standard protection software to prevent unauthorized access to their wireless devices. Wireless users are also advised not to transmit personal, financial or legal data while using any wireless connection. It is not possible for the Library to protect you against malicious theft or interception of such data transmitted over our network. The Library will not be responsible for any information that is compromised, hacked or stolen, or for any damage caused to users’ hardware or software due to security issues, viruses, or hacking.
Library staff does not provide technical assistance for those using wireless access, and will not under any circumstances make changes to the configuration of a privately owned wireless device. If a user has problems accessing the Internet over this connection, staff will only verify hat the library’s connection is operating normally.
Wireless Network Usage Policy
The wireless network is not meant as a replacement for the wired network and is not meant to be used as a primary network connection. The wireless network is meant to extend the wired network for simple uses such as email and searching the internet. Users are expected to avoid using applications that will use large amounts of network bandwidth. These include servers and file-sharing applications. Users may not use the wireless network for any illegal or unethical activities including illegal applications or those which violate copyright laws.
Wireless Internet access in the library is governed by the Library’s Comprehensive Computer Use and Internet Policy in conjunction with the following guidelines:
- The Library does not supply or loan network cards or laptop computers.
- Wireless printing is available inside the Library.
- Library staff provides no technical assistance for wireless networking.
- Users may not extend or modify the network in any way. This includes adding access points and installing bridges, switches, hubs, or repeaters. The Library reserves the right to remove or disable any unauthorized access points.
- Individual users will be responsible for all costs associated with purchase, installation, operation, and support of wireless adapters in client computers.
- The Library is not responsible for any damage, theft or loss of equipment, software or data.
- Any attempt to break into or gain unauthorized access to any computers or systems from a wireless connection is prohibited.
- Any restriction or monitoring of a minor’s access to the Library’s wireless network is the sole responsibility of the parent or guardian.